Image Map

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cake Mixes

Today, I made my uncle some cupcakes for his birthday and Fletcher and I surprised him with them. The thing about my family on both of my parent's side's is that they really aren't that close. They have both drifted apart from their families a little bit and for some significant reasons and some not. My dad's side is mainly just lack of communication. I've always known my uncles but we just never were around them much and then we all lived in different states. Now that we live in Oklahoma again we are closer to them all so we see them quite often as compared to before. I like it a lot. I'm a family person. I love my family. I love being around them. It's comforting, it's safe, it's home. Well, since it was my uncle's birthday today, on a whim I decided to make him a cake, then decided on cupcakes (easier to transport). I was in a bit of a hurry and so I decided to use a cake mix. I am not opposed to cake mixes at all. I prefer myself to eat homemade cakes and such but in general I will not turn down anything mix or from scratch. I'm a sweet tooth! I think cake mixes are almost just like making a cake from scratch. Essentially, they are the same ingredients just already put together, with a few preservatives I know but oh well, you don't notice them. I used a spring funfetti cake mix for the cupcakes today and I used store bought icing too. My mom likes to buy me a lot of cake mixes and icings and things of that sort, she calls them care packages. I love my mom. I split the icing into thirds and dyed them pretty spring colors and used the spring sprinkles that came with the icing. They turned out very cute and springy and they fit the day perfectly, it was a sunny 64 degree day! I am so excited that (hopefully) the snow is over and spring is here to stay!



Sorry about the quality of the photos. I forgot to take pictures before I left the house so these were taken on my phone.

2 comments:

  1. Love your post. The cupcakes look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was very smart of you to dye the frosting to add a personal touch. Like I said before you are good at adding that little something to simple to make it pretty. Pretty Simple! Love you, Mommy

    ReplyDelete